16. November 2017
A building full of history is located at Seeburgstraße 47. A remembrance plaque has now been installed.
Some of our halls of residence are in their younger days and others have many years under their belt: From 1872 to 1874 the married couple von Herzogenberg lived in student hall of residence Seeburgstraße 47. Heinrich von Herzogenberg was born in 1843 in Graz and was an Austrian composer. His wife, Elisabeth von Herzogenberg (maiden name: von Stockhausen), was born in 1847 in Paris as the daughter of a Hanoverian ambassador. She was a pianist, composer and singer.
Together they moved to Leipzig in 1872. In 1874, Heinrich von Herzogenberg founded the Leipzig Bach-Verein together with Franz von Holstein, Philipp Spitta and Alfred Volkland. Supported by his wife, Herzogenberg directed this choir from 1876 to 1885. It is thanks to the Bach-Verein that the cantatas of Johann Sebastian Bach were made available to a bigger audience.
In remembrance of the couple von Herzogenberg, a memorial plaque was installed on the protected monument student hall at Seeburgstraße 47. The building, however, does not only have a music-historical significance: It remains the last neo-gothic brick construction with a detached gable roof in Leipzig.
The building was constructed in 1855. Its reddish brick veneer makes it a special building and through extensive conservation-restoration works, Studentenwerk Leipzig contributed in sustaining the historic value of the city of Leipzig. The house was rebuilt into a modern student hall which holds 36 apartments. In the summer of 2012, the first tenants moved in.