Other Funding Options
The website of the Deutsche Studentenwerk and the flyer "Ein Studium finanzieren" provide you with general information on how to finance your studies. The of the employment agency (Agentur für Arbeit) and the website "Wege ins Studium" contain a lot of helpful information and addresses as well.
Another option to finance your studies besides BAföG is the education loan (Bildungskredit).
Education loans are granted to students who
- Passed the intermediate examination in their course of studies to continue their course of studies,
- Submit a written statement by the education/training institution indicating that intermediate examinations are not required in the specific course of studies and that the student achieved the usual performance in at least the first two years of study/training to continue their course of studies; for students studying for a Bachelor’s degree, a statement issued by the education/training institution is sufficient which indicates that intermediate examinations are not required in the specific course of studies and that the student achieved the usual performance in the first year of study/training,
- Successfully completed the first part of a consecutive course of studies to continue their course of studies, or
- Already have an undergraduate degree for postgraduate course of studies, e.g. Master’s degree.
It is a precondition that the student attends a domestic education/training institution pursuant to § 2 para 1 to 3 BAföG as amended from time to time or that the attendance of the foreign education/ training institution is equivalent to the attendance of a domestic education/training institution.
(2) Eligible to apply are persons who have their permanent residence in Germany and complies with the requirements pursuant to § 8 BAföG as amended from time to time. Furthermore eligible to apply are persons who have their permanent residence abroad, but comply with the special requirements as specified in § 6 BAföG as amended from time to time.
(3) An education loan can be granted also when the student takes part in a domestic or foreign internship in relation to the attendance of one of the given education/training institutions.
(4) You have no legal claim to the education loan. If the annual budget for loans to grant respectively defined by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research is insufficient and therefore not all justified applications can be considered, the inbox date of the application at the Federal Office of Administration is decisive.
As at August 2015
Source: KfW and Federal Office of Administration
Part-time jobs are another possibility for students to finance their studies. The Studentenwerk Leipzig offers the service of getting jobs for students. For further information and specific job offers, please visit our job website.
The Deutsche Studentenwerk has compiled general and useful information about student jobs on its website.