International students from all Leipzig universities and academies as well as prospective students from abroad receive individual counselling for social, personal and financial questions. Individual counselling is free of charge and takes place in a protected setting. Counselling is possible in English or German. Anonymous counselling is possible as well. Counselling with interpreting is possible on request.

An overview of our offers

Book short consultation

Show details

 A short consultation lasts 30 minutes and can be held by telephone, on site or video (Big Blue Button). Consultations can be held in English or German. You can book an appointment via the online booking calendar.

Show details

If you want to get in touch with us quickly you can also use the telephone counselling hours without an appointment. A conversation lasts about 20 minutes and allows you to get in touch with us quickly. 

  • Tuesdays 1.00 to 3.00 p.m.
    • +49 1761 9659 679 Ms David
  • Thursdays 10.00 a.m. to 12.00 noon
    • +49 1761 9659 669 Mr Dägling

Show details
  • Hardship funds for students 
    • Students suffering from an acute or temporary financial emergency through no fault of their own have, as a rule, the opportunity to apply for financial aid once during their studies. The financial support can be applied for as a interest-free loan without guarantee or as a grant.

  • Mensa children's card and children's plate
    • Studentenwerk Leipzig support students with children by means of the Mensa children’s card. This card entitles children of students of Leipzig’s universities, starting from the 1st birthday until they reach the age of 10, to receive one free warm meal per day and per child at the student restaurants run by Studentenwerk Leipzig.

  • Participation in cultural or sporting events
    • KulturLeben Leipzig & Region has been enabling people with particularly low incomes to participate in the cultural life in Leipzig and the surrounding area free of charge. The Social Counselling Service is social partner of the project and provides support for the application.

  • "Freitisch" voucher
    • Students facing a financial hardship they are not responsible for can apply for a "Freitisch" voucher at the Social Counselling service. This voucher is added to the current student card or Mensa card. With the help of the voucher meals and beverages can be purchased in the Studentenwerk's Mensas and Cafeterias.​​​​
Show details

Besides studying, there are other issues that occur in everyday life. There are various ways for students to finance their studies, one of the most common being taking a job. Also, when a child is born, this influences study planning or financing. Previous (financing-) plans have to be rethought. Likewise, studying can bring further challenges if a chronic illness or disability plays a role in daily life.

That is why we offer regular information events on these topics. You can find an overview of the contents and date details in the overview of our online events.

Show details

You don't want to miss any news and events of the Studentenwerk Leipzig for international students? Then you can subscribe to our e-mail distribution list. To do so, please send an e-mail to sozialberatung {{ätt}} studentenwerk-leipzig {{punkt}} de. You can unsubscribe at any time by sending a short e-mail to the same address.

Show details

What? Come by to this International Meet Up, ask your questions, drink tea, get to know other students and have fun.

  • How to settle down in Leipzig? Tips, tricks and information by two experienced social counsellors from Studentenwerk Leipzig.
  • What’s going on in town? Events, news, offers for students in Leipzig and more.
  • What´s on your mind right now? Bring your questions, thoughts and ideas. 

For whom? Students from all Leipzig universities who feel they belong to the group of international students

Location, dates and more information can be found here on this website

What we advise you on

  • Questions about the right of residence in Germany
  • Access to studying (orientation and referring)
  • Communication with authorities, health insurance companies, landlords - advice on application procedures and legal options for dealing with outstanding payments
  • Jobbing in addition to your studies - types of jobs (e.g. mini-jobs, student trainees, self-employment), social security contributions and taxes, work permits
  • Orientation in case of changes in the study status (e.g. leave of absence, removal from register due to family requirements, chronic disease, transition from study to work) and effects on student financing
  • Health insurance (e.g. access, differences between statutory and private health insurance, orientation in the health system)
  • Licence Fee (Rundfunkbeitrag ARD, ZDF and Deutschlandradio)
  • Examination of possible entitlements to social benefits (e.g. housing benefit, child benefit, unemployment benefits), requirements, information on the application procedure
  • Counselling and orientation in difficult life situations (e.g. doubts about studying, planned drop-out) - Information about specific offers of universities, municipal institutions and counselling centers in Leipzig
  • Advice on financial assistance from Studentenwerk Leipzig’s hardship fund to bridge a financial emergency situation
  • Advice on studying with children (e.g. financing, study organisation, daycare search)
  • Advice on studying with a chronic disease or impairment (e.g. financing, organisation of studies, disability compensation)


Sozialberaterin Jana Kupphardt Studentenwerk Leipzig

Jana Kuppardt

Head of Department & Contact for International Students
+49 1761 9659 673
sozialberatung {{ätt}} studentenwerk-leipzig {{punkt}} de

Counselling in English possible.


Questions and Answers

Show details

In Germany, every apartment has to pay the broadcast license fee (Rundfunkbeitrag). This will finance the public broadcasting institutions.

  • The license fee is currently at 17.50€/month.
  • The fee must be paid from the 1st month from which you are registered in Germany.
  • You must register yourself with the fee collection service. If you do not do this, the service will write  to you by post after a few months and demand the unpaid contributions.
  • Only students who receive BAföG can be exempted from paying contributions. International students have to pay the fee, regardless of how long they will stay in Germany and how they finance themselves.
  • Whether your room in the dormitory counts as an individual apartment or whether you can register a shared apartment with your roommates differs from dormitory to dormitory.

A lot of information about the broadcast license fee (explanatory videos,  information for students,...) and registration can be found on the website of the service.

Show details


  • International students who do not come from the EU or the EEA are allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half days per year. In this case you do not need the separate consent of the employment agency (Agentur für Arbeit). A half day is considered up to 4 hours working time and everything that goes beyond 4 hours is considered a full day. Half and full days can be combined and days off or sick days are not considered working days.
  • However, international students who do not come from the EU cannot simply work on their own or on a freelance basis. This must be discussed in advance with the Foreigners’ Authority.
  • Students with a part-time job must have proof of how many days a year they work
  • If you want to work more than 120 full days or 240 half days, you need the consent of the Foreigners’ Authority.
  • An exception is the work as a research assistant or student assistant: As long as the studies are not endangered, they can be carried out indefinitely. However, the Aliens Department must still be informed if you want to work as a research assistant or student assistant.


  • In principle, students from the European Union and the European Economic Area are practically equal to German students and have free access to the German labour market. You are to be considered a regular student and not an employee if your job does not exceed 20 hours per week during the lecture period.
  • Since May 2011, students from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, the Czech Republic and Hungary can also work on the same conditions as German students.


  • During your preparation for university (language course, preparatory course), employment is only permitted during the semester break and the approval of the Foreigners’ Authority and the employment agency is required.

If you are looking for a job, we recommend Studentenwerk Leipzig’s Student Job Office.

Show details

All important information can be found on the website of the City of Leipzig.

Show details

According to German law, all students, including international students, studying at a university or academy in Germany, need a statutory or private health insurance. To register at a university in Leipzig, you need your health insurance certificate and must present it for enrolment. Sufficient insurance cover is very important so that you do not have to bear the costs yourself in case of e.g. necessary surgery, required psychotherapy or the birth of a baby in the hospital. This can be very expensive. Therefore, you should inform yourself very well regarding what cost your health insurance company covers and do not enter into the cheapest contract right away.

Show details

Studentenwerk Leipzig’s Psychosocial Counselling provides support with study difficulties, personal conflict situations or psychological strains. The offer is confidential, free and tailored to your personal needs.

Show details

In general, Psychosocial Counselling deals with questions concerning the handling of stress and difficult situations in study related and everyday life. Social Counselling  deals with financing options, studying with residence permits, studying with children, studying with chronic disease, etc.

Generally speaking, there are many concerns that are relevant for both Social Counselling and Psychosocial Counselling. For example, the question as to whether a semester off due to illness or heavy workload makes sense includes not only the aspect of how one can use the time to feel better and be able to study again (Psychosocial Counselling), but often also the question of financing during this time (Social Counselling). For this reason, Psychosocial Counselling and Social Counselling work closely together on many issues – given the students consent.

If you are unsure to which of the two counselling services you should go to (first), you are welcome to write an e-mail with your concern to sozialberatung {{ätt}} studentenwerk-leipzig {{punkt}} de in order to receive feedback of our counsellors.

Show details

People coming from an EU member state or Iceland, Lichtenstein or Norway do not need a residence permit as long as the right to freedom of movement under the Freedom of Movement Act/EU exists.

Everyone else has to make an appointment with the Foreigners’ Authority. However, the first step is to register your residence/new address with the City of Leipzig. You will be handed a registration letter. More information here on the City's website. 

After receiving your registration letter, go to the Foreigners’ Authority to register your stay for study purposes in Leipzig.